Looking for a cold treat during these hot summer days? These simple homemade ice cream pops are a fan favorite at my house and I am sure they will be at yours too. Frozen treats aren’t just for kids, and that’s especially true when it comes to ice pops. This treat requires minimal prep and is the perfect make-ahead summer dessert. Have them ready in your freezer for easy entertaining or a cooling afternoon snack.
As far as ice cream bars go, you have a lot of flavor options. While classic flavors like chocolate and vanilla are always tasty, you can also get creative. Case in point? The Chocolate and Pistachio Ice Cream Pops that are featured here. You just need a few ingredients, and you have an upgraded take on a classic dessert.
- 1/2 gallon of your favorite ice cream flavor
- 16 oz dark chocolate (72%) finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil*
- Chopped pistachios or whatever topping you like
- Take ice cream out of freezer until it is soft and easy to scoop. Fill ice cream bar molds with mixture and insert wooden stick. Freeze for at least 6 hours until solid. Overnight is ideal.
- To make chocolate dip: Combine chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a large bowl. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water. Make sure bowl does not touch water. Melt mixture gently and stir often to ensure even melting. Once mixture is smooth, pour into a tall drinking glass.
- To assemble: Un-mold frozen ice cream bars. Dip in melted chocolate and immediately top with chopped pistachios (or whatever topping you like). Enjoy immediately or keep frozen until ready to eat. Cover tightly in plastic wrap or keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two weeks.