Filled with a gooey brown sugar and cinnamon pecan pie center, these Pecan Pie Stuffed Cupcakes are to die for. A traditional vanilla cupcake is filled with pecan pie filling and topped with a rich cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with toasted pecans and you have the perfect balance of sweet, crunchy and spice.
Pecan Pie Stuffed Cupcake
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
cup corn syrup
cup butter, melted
eggs, slightly beaten
cup chopped pecans, toasted
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperate
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups powdered sugar
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 17 -20 minutes or just until set and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely, 30 minutes.
- For pecan pie stuffing: Meanwhile, in saucepan, stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in corn syrup, melted butter, salt and eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat; stir in pecans and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool 15 minutes. Refrigerate about 1 hour, until thickened.
- For the frosting: in a separate bowl, mix cream cheese and butter well. Add vanilla and cinnamon and slowly incorporate powdered sugar.
- With a butter knife, scoop out center of each cupcake, scooping almost to bottom of cupcake; throw away removed cake pieces. Spoon 1 tablespoon stuffing into the center of each cupcake. Frost with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and top with chopped toasted pecans.