The past few days I have been traveling, and came home to an (almost) empty fridge. There were a few random items… basically enough to make what I thought would be a mediocre salad with some roasted potatoes on the side. While the potatoes were roasting I came up with this incredible idea to add the potatoes to the salad. Then, I tossed in a couple other items I had already prepared and had on hand. Who knew I was concocting something so fabulous! There was no shortage of flavors, that’s for sure. Roasted rosemary potatoes, quinoa, sliced onion and spicy roasted chickpeas for a bit of crunch turned a bed of kale into something quite divine. These simple, fresh ingredients make a healthy on the go meal that is satisfying and delicious.
Since this bowl of healthy vegetables, proteins and grains turned out so well, I decided to make it again and share the recipe with you all. To speed up the roasting process I roasted both the potato and the chickpeas at the same time. Two different trays, one oven. The potato stays in much longer, but that’s totally fine since you’ll have the roasted chickpeas to snack on while you wait. Meanwhile I cook the quinoa, which takes almost no time at all, and finely chop the kale and the onion. Avocado, or even grilled chicken pairs amazingly with this salad, although not necessary.
Food has this amazing power to influence my mood (much like exercise) and I often tell myself that feeling better is only a meal (or workout) away. It really is true! So keep this in mind if you are feeling the effects of stress or just having a dreary day. Healthy eating begins with the very next meal… and it doesn’t have to be a complicated recipe that tastes like a lawn. Remember that, haha!
1, 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans
1 head of kale
1 cup quinoa, cooked
1 russet potato
1 rosemary sprig
Salt and pepper
Spices to season chickpeas (if desired cayenne pepper, garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Pre heat oven to oven to 450 degrees F. Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, and season to taste with salt, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper, if using. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned and crunchy.
2. Dice potato into small chunks. Drizzle with olive oil and chopped rosemary. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes at 450 degrees F, until golden brown. (To save time cook the chickpeas and potato at the same time)
3. Chop the kale, and thinly slice the onion.
4. Top kale with onion, chickpeas, potato and quinoa. Top with Garlic Lemon dressing or dressing of choice
5. To make dressing: mix 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste, 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper to taste.