When Andris, the creator of Baking Steel asked me if I would be interested in testing out one of his steels, I couldn’t say no. I mean, playing in the kitchen and testing out the latest and greatest culinary tools is right up my alley. For the next few days I patiently waited (ok actually anxiously waited) on this product that is said to be one of the best pieces of kitchen equipment for pizza. Meanwhile reading reviews that said this product was “undoubtably the best homemade pizza you’ll ever make,” “a game changer” and was one of Bon Appetite Magazines “8 Gadets You’ll Need In Your Kitchen.” Anyone who has tried this product will agree, if you want perfect pizza every time buy a Steel.
It took me awhile to decide what pizza to make first. Do I make a veggie pizza, meat lovers, a traditional all cheese pizza? But I finally decided upon one of my favorites: a gourmet Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza – which I have to say is as good as it sounds. A traditional white crust is topped with a garlic-olive oil sauce, freshly sliced mozzarella, parmesan, and to top it off thin slices of prosciutto, peppery arugula and fresh parmesan. Heaven on a piece of steel? Maybe! This steel creates that crispy brick oven crust you’ve tried to make for years in your home oven. Try one out for yourself, your taste buds will thank you. Buon appetito i miei amici!
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1. Mix together yeast, sugar and warm water into a bowl. Watch yeast become foamy.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a seperate bowl until well combined. Slowly add the yeast mixture. In a mixer with a bread hook, mix until dough forms a ball. Place in oiled glass bowl and cover until triples in size. Takes about an hour.
2. Flour hard surface and form pizza dough. Add toppings.
Arugula and Prosciutto Pizza:
Dough for one pizza
1/8 to 1/4 cup garlic infused olive oil
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
4 to 6 slices of prosciutto
1 bunch arugula
Freshly shaved parmesan
1. Preheat oven with Baking Steel, on second to top rack, to 500 degrees for 45 min.
2. Brush uncooked crust with olive oil infused with fresh garlic.
3. Add shredded mozzarella cheese, prosciutto, and then more cheese. Cook in hot oven on the Baking Steel for 8 min. Add arugula when taken out of oven and sprinkle with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.