To me there is nothing better than a chocolate cupcake topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting, filled with Oreos. These cupcakes will not disappoint and are perfect for parties or even if you’re just craving something chocolatey and sweet. Chocolate cake is baked on top of a large Oreo cookie, then topped with Oreo cream cheese frosting. A small Oreo cookie garnishes the cupcake for even more Oreo flavor. These will be gone before you know it!
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup bread flour (you may sub all-purpose flour, but bread flour is highly recommended)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar (use more or less depending on how stiff you want the frosting to be)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup crushed Oreo cookies
- One package of small Oreo cookies
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa powder, and 3/4 cup hot water. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and all of the chocolate has melted.Place this mixture in the refrigerator to chill for about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- When the chocolate mixture has cooled, whisk in 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 2 teaspoons vinegar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated together.
- Place an Oreo cookie on the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Pour batter over each cookie and fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 of the way full. You should get about 18 cupcakes.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Whip cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time, until fully incorporated. Add vanilla extract. Gently stir in crushed Oreo cookies.
- To frost the cupcakes, place the frosting in a piping bag then top with a small Oreo cookie.