There is nothing better on a lazy summer morning than a freshly baked blueberry muffin. This recipe brings me back to the long summers spent on Nantucket Island growing up. These muffins are to die for and have an extra layer of cinnamon crumble on top. Add extra blueberries if you want that extra burst of blueberry flavor.
I created this recipe by adapting many different ones, to come up with the perfect muffin. Enjoy!
Makes 16 large muffins
3 cups of all – purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup all – purpose flour
1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line tin with muffin liners
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside. Mix liquid ingredients (vegetable oil, eggs, milk and vanilla extract) into a separate bowl.
3. Incorporate the liquid mixture to the flour mixture on a low speed with an electric mixer. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups almost to the top, and sprinkle with the crumb topping.
4. Mix together all crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with hands and sprinkle on muffins before baking
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until done.