Twinkle, twinkle little star… That is what first came to mind when I created these dazzling Christmas cookies! It’s almost December, which means it’s time to kick baking season into high gear. I’m kicking this 2017 season off with this new decadent recipe, which will be a fabulous addition to your cookie trays. These chocolate sugar cookies are topped with a white chocolate drizzle and crushed candy canes for a bit of holiday sparkle. If these don’t convince Santa to hand over the goods, nothing will.
With all my years of baking I don’t think I’ve ever made a chocolate cut out sugar cookie before! Shocking I know! They are just as simple to make as a normal sugar cookie but I love the deep brown color. A simple drizzle of white chocolate, and a sprinkle of crushed candy cane is all you need to decorate these gorgeous cookies. This is a fabulous cookie for beginner bakers because I’m telling you there is really no right/wrong way to decorate these.
2 hours (includes cooling)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (or dutch process)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint sprinkles
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the granulated sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the baking powder and salt until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Roll each portion out onto a piece of parchment to about 1/4″ thickness. Stack the pieces (with parchment paper between) onto a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Chilling is mandatory. If chilling for more than a couple hours, cover the top dough piece with a single piece of parchment paper. You can chill up to 2 days.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. The amount of batches will depend on how large/small you cut your cookies. Remove one of the dough pieces from the refrigerator and using a cookie cutter, cut in shapes. Transfer the cut cookie dough to the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used.
- Bake for 10 minutes– the cookies will still appear soft. Make sure you rotate the baking sheet halfway through bake time. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Melt white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Drizzle on top of cookies using a piping bag. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Allow to harden before storing.